01 - 05
06 - 10
11 - 15
16 - 20
01. Jasmine (Aladdin) song (moulin rouge elephant love medley) - When I started out making the Jasmine icon, I wanted to show her desire to be free and have the independence to make her own choices. I used the scene of her setting birds free and the scene of her exploring the "whole new world" with Aladdin to show that. I wanted bright colors and a certain "shininess" from inspiration taken from the video from MR.
02. Mulan (Mulan) link & link - I wanted to show both sides of Mulan - the girly groomed maiden her family wants her to be and the fierce warrior she chooses to become to protect them. The blocking was inspired from that Alias icon and the time lapse black and white image. It was made to show the series of events that lead to Mulan's journey.
03. Belle (Beauty and the Beast) "instrumental" - I wanted use something from the song "Belle" since obviously that scene shows the epitome of her personality pretty darn well. So I chose a cap from that scene and used the lyrics "she's a funny girl" to show that she is out of the ordinary in her town and wants more than to be ordinary. I don't think she necessarily sees herself as odd but she knows she wants more out of life so others perceive her that way.
04. Rapunzel (Tangled) video - one year in 60 seconds - Rapunzel wanted nothing more than to escape her tower so I chose a cap of her celebrating outside. To me this shows her growing up and starting her adventure. I was going to mess with blocking to show her confliction when she did first leave her castle, but then I decided that's not really the epitome of her character. So I went more for simple on this one, showing her celebrating her new found freedom! Lots of greens and yellows here.
05. Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) texture - This was just supposed to show Aurora's falling into the deep sleep and being awoken from it. And "once upon a time", the epitome of the classic fairy tale. I liked the look of that texture, it seemed kind of classic and maybe like a decoration you'd find in a book while reading this tale or something, I dunno.
06. Pocahontas (Pocahontas) texture - I had many caps chosen for Pocahontas and it was so hard to choose only one or two. I wanted to show her independence and free spirit ultimately though so I chose two of her in the wind with the leaves blowing around her. The texture of the trees helped me fill some negative space in the corner while trying to portray the "wildness" of her spirit.
07. Megara (Hercules) general theme - This one was kind of a weird idea. Looking through caps for this movie, I saw that urn with Hercules on it that is the last frame of the film as showing that he achieved his dreams and was now someone important in their society. So I took that urn cap and modified it to show Meg's silhouette instead. idk if it turned out well but I really like the original idea so I stuck with it. Ultimately just supposed to represent that Meg had just as vital of a role in Hercules' journey as Hercules himself did.
08. Jane (Tarzan) video - this is where we live. I thought this cap really portrays Jane's amazement at the new environment she's found herself in. Tarzan's showing her his home and it's a completely new world for her. I was trying to emphasize that amazement and curiosity in her personality. I felt the same way when watching the video that inspired it.
09. Snow White (Snow White) general theme - This was not the first icon I made from Snow White. I was originally trying to do something with blending a cap of her and the poison apple but it looked dumb. So I chose this one of her about to eat the apple instead. Kinda shows how naive she is - she knows someones out to kill her and then still noms apples from strangers lol. The background I originally wanted to be more red to symbolize the apple more, but it wasn't looking good at all so I muted it and it turned into more of a pink color. Still turned out okay, just harder to see the exact "epitome" of Snow White in it.
10. Lilo (Lilo & Stitch) thespian_muse wallpaper - Ohana means family. Family is the most important thing to Lilo and so I took all of the photographs from the end credits to make this icon to sum her up. I just thought the compilation of all these photographs of her new family shows what the entire point of the movie and Lilo's journey was. She has a new family and this is what they do together.
11. Ariel (The Little Mermaid) general theme - This is my least favorite of the icons lol. I liked the idea but the colors would not work out for me! And I got too attached to the idea to try other caps so here it is. Showing Ariel's longing to be a human and her dismay at being a mermaid. I think mainly I don't like it as much because the two colors don't look well TOGETHER, to me at least.
12. Tiana (The Princess and the Frog) texture/general theme - The Princess and the Frog is a really visually beautiful film and the "almost there" segment is one of my favorites. I think this scene/cap also represent Tiana in a great way - she has big dreams AND has the dedication and work ethic to actually make them happen. She's both being fantastical and getting the job done at the same time in this cap. I like the repetition in this icon too. Some of the tasks she has to do will seem repetitive and tedious but it's just what she has to do to get what she wants.
13. Cinderella (Cinderella) icon by letsey - I wanted to blend together caps from Cinderella's transformation. I think the look I wanted was achieved. I wanted it to look more like two separate images than two torsos coming off the same pair of legs but lol it got a little too bright to be able to see the distinction I think. Eh. letsey_x's icon of River Song inspired the style of the text - Cinderella wished to go to the ball and that evening was granted to her and that changed the rest of her life. Really wanted to emphasize the presence of MAGIC here.
14. Giselle (Enchanted) textures - With iconning Giselle, I wanted to show her original state of being. The ridiculously naive, perfect pretty princess version. In this cap, she's dancing with her animal friends without a care in the world. Adorable!! I thought the circle texture added some "playfulness" to it as well. Without it, the icon would have been pretty standard and boring, something Giselle is definitely not.
15. Esmeralda (The Hunchback of Notre Dame) textures - I think faith and beliefs are a big part of Esmeralda's character. When I was going through caps, I found some where she was back lit trying to help Quasi and looking really ethereal and angel-esque. But I wasn't completely satisfied with that cap so I wanted to take a peek at the "god help the outcasts" caps in the cathedral, and she's staring at the statues for a long time there so I got the idea to combine that backlit cap with one of the statues from the church. Together these caps symbolize the importance of her faith. I also tried to add some "blobs" of white light if you will to enhance that heavenly feeling, and also used the texture to do the same thing.
16. Wendy (Peter Pan) takethewords wallpaper - I think mixing the images of Big Ben and Wendy works to describe her character in a number of ways. She travels to a fantasy land where children don't age - time freezes for her and her brothers. The image of her seems youthful and innocent, believing in magic and fairy tales. But then, she eventually leaves Neverland. Then time passes as she will grow old and leave Peter behind in years as well as distance. It reminds me of the blending done in takethewords' Rose Tyler wallpaper.
17. Simba (The Lion King) texture - I was originally aiming to showcase all female characters but I also really wanted to include The Lion King. This cap of Simba in his youth captures his mischievous side more than anything else. I tried to bring out intense color - brighttttt yellows and pretty blues and then also tried to add depth to those blues by adding the texture. Simba - crafty, bright, playful, optimistic.
18. Merida (Brave) "open" - We haven't officially met Merida yet so working on an icon to really portray her character is a little iffy. But hopefully the title, the poster and the teaser trailer sum her up pretty well. She is brave! Definitely wanted to portray her in action like the trailer does and then also include the image of her walking towards something - on her journey, however that ends up playing out. God I'm so excited for this movie! The word "open" is portrayed in that this is the opening and beginning of what we will hopefully get to learn about her in the movie aaaaaah!!
19. Dory (Finding Nemo) general theme - I wanted to show Dory as finally finding somewhere she belongs. Marlin is forced to work with her at first but then they don't want to lose each other. They've got each others' backs and they come to realize that too. :3
20. Remy (Ratatouille) texture - Went into Pixar mode at the end here a bit. Nothing sums up Ratatouille more to me than the end where Remy gets kicked out of the restaurant but then comes full circle and opens his own :3 This cap also includes the Eiffel Tower and with that and the sign for Remy's new restaurant, how can you get any more perfect. I tried playing around with a few textures for this one, as well as white negative space. Was originally thinking of doing more blocking but it looked dumb and I like negative space better and as Remy is an artist I think he'd be glad I did some self-editing of my original too
complicated/busy design lol.
.20inspirations round 10 inspiration post